Monday, October 11, 2010

A Man Who Lost His Job ~ Helping others overcome their failures


There was once a man who had an ambition to be a writer; he had succeeded in publishing a book and some magazine articles, but it seemed impossible to make a living for his family by relying on his pen.

Through the influence of a friend he secured a position as a weigher in the Boston customhouse. After two years he lost his job. He went home to his wife a failure. A college graduate thirty-seven years old who had lost his job paying only one hundred dollars a month and had no prospects at all for the future.

His wife greeted his dismal announcement with the words, "That's wonderful, now you are free to write your book, I believe in you!" Under the stimulus of her faith he wrote one of the greatest of all American novels, The Scarlet Letter.

COMMENTARY

Many people are not strong enough to turn defeat into victory unless they receive encouragement from others. It is amazing how many people in this world have become a great success when, not too long before that, they seemed to be total failures.

Mrs. Hawthorne could've been cold and condesending to her husband at that weak humbling moment if she chose to. He walked in with his head and heart down low and her belief in him and words of encouragment changed the whole scene.

"Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you." ~ William Arthur Ward

APPLICATION

Do you know someone who at this moment is feeling like a failure? Perhaps it's one of the many that are unemployed in today's tough economy. There are many that feel like giving up in these tough times. Give them words of encouragement. Let them know that you care about them and that you believe in them.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29

Think of those in your family. In most families nowadays there is at least one person that is greatly struggling and feeling down. I challenge you to contact that person and give them a word of encouragement. Who knows what the outcome will be?

~ John Finley

No comments:

Post a Comment