Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A HOUSE DIVIDED

I have a novel in my head now that I would like to write. It begins with an event that I will never forget.

Many years ago I had what I would call either a dream or a vision. The setting was dark and there was an overwhelming sense of despair and sadness that permeated the place. I walked into this large mansion, as I entered the foyer I noticed there were walls all around but no doors anywhere. I tried to find one but couldn't.

Soon I heard what sounded like a man crying upstairs. I walked up the enormous staircase and as I approached the top I noticed the same as below around me; no doors.

When I came to the top of the staircase the crying grew louder and there was a large room in which there was an opening to. Inside I saw an old man. His hair was brighter the whitest wool I have ever seen. He was on his knees and crying vehemently.

I slowly approached him apprehensively and asked him what was wrong. He told me, "I built this house for my family and they have all put up walls. It is filled with division and a house divided cannot stand." He again began to cry bitterly. "What can I do?" I asked, almost surprised I did. He told me, "I want you to go to all of them and show them the foolishness of their divisions and hatred. I have put understanding in you and you can teach them." I replied, "What can I do, I am insignificant in such matters, I am fearful and weak. The thought of going to them frightens me immensely. I don't like to cause any waves, and while I believe and understand what they are doing is wrong, it is not my business and I should just leave them be." "It is your business," he replied, "they are your family, they are your brothers and sisters and I am your father. Go now, do not fear for I will send my spirit to be with you."

Then I awoke. That was many years ago but the impression has not left me.

I have a book that I am just starting. It has to do with answering the call in that dream. The premise of the story is in my head now. It has to do with all types of divisions within our world; Christians/Muslims, Chinese/Japanese, Nazis/Jews, white supremacists/black people, Catholic/Protestants in Ireland, Tutsis/Hutus in Rwanda, Overweight unattractive woman/model types, rich/poor, Sunni-Shi'ite, Caste system in India, Hindu/Muslim, Mormons/Christians, bullies/scared kids, Jews/Arabs, atheists/believers, those with power that create wars and cause division for profit/innocent people they affect, etc.

It starts out with characters that represent the above around the world and shows what their hatred, racism and division causes. It will at times be violent and hard to stomach.

As these events are taking place a large asteroid is heading to the earth. The governments that know this decide to keep it a secret to avoid panic.

The wars and divisions grow and leaders from various faiths around the world are trying to find a solution to bringing peace in the world. Their conversations show the futility they have in bringing resolution, but also the wisdom in trying to bring about peace.

Then the asteroid hits. The earth is destroyed.

The character's souls are transported to various other realms and places. These are places of judgment and self-reflection. Each place is set up for them by a loving supreme being to show them the foolishness and wickedness of their poor thinking.

Sometimes they are there with those they hated, and other times they are not. Each are shown episodes of their life, almost like in Scrooge. They become overwhelmed with guilt. At times the souls of those they hated, tortured, raped or killed are with them as they watch. Verses from their own faiths will be told to them that contradict their wicked behavior.

One scene will have a Hutu in a room watching an Irish Catholic man's and Protestant man's foolish hatred in action during their lifetime. The Hutu will laugh and call them stupid stating that they both believe in and worship the same loving God yet they hate and kill each other. He will criticize them for being so un-Christ-like. As he is laughing at them a Tutsi man he hacked to death with a machete walks in...

In another story a woman who was a gorgeous model and viciously mean to unattractive overweight woman will find herself on a planet in which, what we call unattractive and overweight, is what is desired of all men. She will be the outcast and the one insulted because of her wretched appearance. She will try hard to look like the other women but will not be able to do it.

A man that was rich and greedy will go to a utopian paradise, perhaps one similar to what John Lennon imagined, in which there are no possessions and all have what they need and give freely to ensure that there is no greed and all needs are met. He learns how foolish it was to be greedy and in his visions of his past he will see many who suffered when he could of helped them.

A Chinese man and a Japanese man will be brought to the Nankin Massacre where the Japanese raped thousands of women and slaughtered over 300,000 Chinese. The Chinese man will argue to the angel that his people are a people of honor and that it is their duty to avenge the Japanese for the atrocities they committed. He will be given his wish and will be placed in a Japanese village as a general with a contingent of Chinese soldiers to do the same to the Japanese. As he sees it happening before his eyes he falls to his knees crying, realizing how wrong he was. Feeling he has brought about dishonor he puts his gun to his head and pulls the trigger..only to awaken beside the Japanese man he so hated and...

A man who was a white supremacist will find himself in a world in which the black people are superior and whites are looked down upon, similar to our 50's and 60's but in reverse. He awakens to find all of his hate-filled tatoos are gone. He will be beaten, insulted and persecuted for the color of his skin. Black people will be conversing at a country club while they are being served by white people. He is one of those on the staff. When the white people go out of the room the blacks will mock them as racist whites have done to the blacks. He will be secretly listening to them and hear them conversing word for word as he once did. He will try to explain to the whites at first that they are better and end up striving for equality and fairness.

An Arab and a Jew will awaken thirsty in a vast unknown desert. They both see the same mirage a great distance away. As they journey to the mirage from opposite directions they are shown what hatred and division caused in their lives. By the time they reach the mirage, and realize it was just a mirage, they are both so disgusted and ashamed by what they saw on their journey that they embrace with joy and forgiveness. As they let go there is a stool before them with one glass of ice cold water. When they both offer it to the other saying they are unworthy the scenery changes before their eyes and they are in a beautiful paradise with as much fresh cold water and every delicacy they can imagine. The angel appears and expresses his joy to them that they finally understand.

Each will be assigned an angel that will be with them, sometimes knowingly and sometimes not. The angel will ask them wise questions that will show them the foolishness of anger, hate and division.

In the end I approach the visionary mansion I saw in the beginning. This time however, it is colorful, bright and joyous. I see people on the grounds eating, drinking and laughing. I hear the sounds of happy children playing together. As I look closely I see those that once hated each other as the best and closest of friends. I see Sunni children playing with Shi'ite children, and all other types, that once would never be seen near each other embracing as brothers and sisters.

I walk in the house to find openings throughout the entire mansion. While there are openings and door frames there are no doors. Never again will there be doors or walls of division. People of all faiths, cultures and philosophies are walking through the mansion with smiles. Each one kindly greets me as I walk by.

Next I proceed up the stairs to the large master room in which I saw the old man crying. As I enter He is there with several other distinguished looking men and women. They are all angels. "We have been waiting for you John", the old man says. I am mesmerized by how perfect and strong he appears but consoled by the gentleness which he exudes regardless of the power he wields.

"I have something I want to say to you," says the supreme one, "Well done, I am very proud of you, we are all proud of you. You are my son and I am your father." I fall to my knees and can only cry. They all come around me and lift me up and carry me out to the grand party taking place in the seemingly infinite back yard. Trumpets are blaring and I hear an angel proclaim, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God!"

Immediately after that I awaken to find myself in the modern day streets of New York city. I walk through the streets hearing and seeing all sorts of division and hatred around me. As I approach the entrance to a subway I see a sign above the entrance that says, "Peace...Are you brave enough to do your part to bring it!"

That is the ending...potentially

The goal is to show the utter foolishness, stupidity and immaturity of division, and hatred whether it be for religious, social, economic, or even for one's appearance, while at the same time to showing the wisdom and supremacy of peace.

All the stories within will be brief but concise and each will expose what divisions cause in graphic detail.

What do you think of such a story?

No comments:

Post a Comment